It is said that if you do something repeatedly for two or three weeks, it becomes a habit and then it is not difficult or require additional effort to do it anymore. If it is a habit you do it naturally; you brush your teeth every morning naturally because it is a habit or a part of your daily routine, that you don’t have to think about very much.
Similarly, here are the five habits that you should adopt to be a better English learner:
1. Read in English – choose a hobby or topic of your interest and follow it on the newspaper or the internet. For instance, you can follow a football team or cooking for which you can use English websites for recipes on your favourite dishes and make it using English recipes.
2. Another thing you could do to learn English in Singapore is to start taking tutorial lessons – there are many amazing tutorials on YouTube to learn the English Language. There are also many tutorial academies working in Singapore as well.
3. The third habit is speaking English regularly – if you want to reach a high level of spoken English, you have to practice it regularly. It is like going to the gym or doing physical exercise. If you want to be fit, if you want to run a marathon, you have to run. Similarly, if you want to speak English fluently, you have to speak it regularly. So, commit to having conversation classes from a good coaching academy in Singapore. You can also do this via online tuition or skype, but make an effort to do it consistently. In Singapore, many clubs also arrange regular meetups where you can go once a week or once a month to speak English, but you have got to speak everything in English.
4. Choose a television program that you love in English – This could be an English comedy or an English crime movie. Choose an English thing but without the dubbing. You can also watch any YouTube channel of your interest or a podcast that you can download or stream and listen to in the car on the way to work every day or three times a week. Just make it part of your routine, and if you find something you like, you will want to listen to it, and if you want to listen to it, you will naturally be doing it and be improving your English.
5. Taking notes at the time of your classes or while watching TV – have a place or document on your computer or a notebook at a place where you can make notes. Write down new expressions and then just read it now and then. Read your list of notes, your list of cool expressions or use vocabulary that you’ve learned or pronunciation advice that has surprised you etc. It is recommended to read this before your English classes or before you speak English.
These are the habits that can make you a quick learner of English language and give you command over it. Try to remain consistent with them, because if you break a habit, it is difficult to get back into that habit again. Good Luck with your learning endeavour!
Our teachers are committed to give 100% to help every student who is enrolled into our tuition classes. Our classes are also fun and exciting to spur learning and retention for our students. In turn, they will love the language, and excel in it too.
137 Cecil Street Level 7,
Hengda Building, Singapore 069537
9028 7560 6519 1865